Powered By Blogger

Monday, February 27, 2012

New York Times Reading Log - 3

In today's issue of the New York Times, I particularly enjoyed the article by Michael Barbaro, "Rick Santorum Makes a Case For Religion in a Public Sphere."  As a social liberal, I am not the world's biggest fan of Santorum and his Bible toting, crusading approach to politics.  

"What kind of country do we live in that says that only people of nonfaith can come into a public square and make their case?" Santorum was quoted as saying, "That makes me throw up.  I don't believe in an America where separation of church and state is absolute."

Given these quotes, and Santorum's troublesome history of homophobia, a bigoted attitude that he is barely able to reign in even on a national stage,  I am forced to wonder: Is any one else as concerned as me that this man has a legitimate shot to run for president?   In my opinion, Santorum seems like just another far-right lunatic who is doing his best to move America as far backwards socially as he can.  I would be legitimately concerned for the rights of women, minority groups, and homosexuals if Santorum became President.  This article in the Times is eye-opening to just how unapologetically fanatical he is. 

I don't think there are many people who truly oppose the benefits of separation of church and state.  If Rick Santorum were elected, he will do his damnedest to revert America to the social norms of the dark ages.  


No comments:

Post a Comment